Portland’5 Centers for the Arts is pleased to announce that pacificwild Chef de cuisine for the Portland'5 venues (ArtBar & Bistro, Keller Café, and event catering), Shannon Wisner, has earned a Pro Chef II certification from the world renowned Culinary Institute of America - increasing her culinary, leadership and financial skills.
The ProChef certification is the only competency-based certification for professional chefs. The rigorous four-day test assesses a chef’s proficiency in competency in basic food science, baking, and nutrition; personnel management and supervisory skills; and knowledge of basic concepts of financial controls of a food operation.
Grading is done by Master Chefs within the Culinary Institute of America.
In order to achieve ProChef Level II certification status a chef must demonstrate the following skills:
- Nutrition concepts as applied to menus and recipes
- Fundamental baking techniques
- Basic food science terminology
- Garde manger and Mediterranean cooking principles
- Fundamental management principles
- Effective supervision of others in work production
- Fundamental workplace laws and employer liability
- Preparation of performance reviews
- Preparation of effective work schedules
- Food operation P&Ls
- Menu mix and portion concepts
- Labor and food waste issues
- Food inventory and ordering system
Achieving certification is a milestone for chefs and is considered a stamp of recognition in the culinary industry. Shannon Wisner has been with pacificwild/Portland'5 for 6 years. She has a degree in Culinary Arts from the Western Culinary Institute and holds a certification in ProChef I amongst her credentials and experience.